Do you ever feel like you don’t fit in anywhere you go? As a 1.5 generation immigrant, this sense of always living in between borders, and cultures, and languages is one that has defined my life and has created a lot of feelings of “not belonging” throughout my life.
This can feel emotionally uncomfortable and cause lots of anxiety and distress not only in our personal lives but also at work.
In this episode I share one personal story from a period of my life where I felt the most out of place and like I didn’t belong, some of the lessons learned, and how to manage the fear caused by not belonging.
Click play to listen now in your browser. The Career Confidence For Immigrants podcast is also available on Spotify and Apple Podcasts.
You will also learn:
- What tends to cultivate a sense of belonging in the workplace
- Why vulnerability and radical honesty are needed to increase belongingness
- How to balance taking personal responsibility for your thoughts and emotions with the fact that many of us feel like don’t belong because of actual discrimination
- What the antidote to feelings of not belonging is.
- Article: Beyond Diversity: How Firms Are Cultivating a Sense of Belonging.
- Blog for social anxiety: Succeed Socially
- My Instagram account to share your thoughts and stories.