Do you tend to stay stuck in a negative emotion for days or even weeks? Maybe you had a difficult conversation with a client or coworker and the rumination and “shoulding” yourself on all the things you could have said or done better lasts for days, totally killing your mood.
If your emotional waves tend to last for a bit too long, chances are you are resisting emotions. Resisting negative emotion in order to avoid pain is something we’re wired to do – and is further encouraged by society that promotes escapism, consumerism and the entitlement to feeling good 24/7.
But learning to process your emotions and sitting with them is the best skill you can learn for yourself. Because once you start becoming friends with your fear, your anxiety and your doubt, there’s no life or career goal you will not be able to achieve!
Episode 22 How To Process Emotions teaches you how to do this – and how to start moving away from numbing behaviours.
Click play to listen now in your browser. The Career Confidence For Immigrants podcast is also available on Spotify and Apple Podcasts.
You will also learn:
- How people misuse mindset tools to avoid feeling negative emotion
- Where our inability to sit with our emotions come from and why it’s not your fault
- How fast food, alcohol and social media influence your ability to process emotions
- Why chasing happiness backfires
- The value of therapy and coaching for learning to process emotions
- How to allow an emotion to be there without numbing or distracting yourself